"Be faithful to your own taste, because nothing you really like is ever out of style." - Billy Baldwin
Retro bathroom items can be a great way to add a touch of your personality and style to your interior design project. They can also be a great way to save money, as they can often be found cheaper for a fraction of the price of new items - eBay or Facebook marketplace anyone?
Here are a few tips for sourcing and using retro bathroom items for interior design projects:
Sourcing retro bathroom items:
- Online auctions: This is a great place to find retro bathroom items at a fraction of the price of new items. If you can be sure to inspect items carefully for any damage before purchasing them.
- Online marketplaces: There are a number of online marketplaces where you can find retro bathroom items, eBay and Facebook marketplace being a couple of my favourites. Be sure to read reviews of sellers before purchasing from them if you can.
- Antique stores: Antique stores can be a great place to find high-quality retro bathroom items. However, be prepared to pay a premium for these items.
Using retro bathroom items in interior design projects can seem a little daunting to some but don't fear, there are some guardrails that help making decisions around when and where retro adds to a bathroom:
- Mix and match: Don't be afraid to mix and match different retro bathroom items. This is a great way to create your look to your taste.
- Use pops of color: Retro bathroom items often come in bold colors; think 1950's pastels. Use them to add pops of color to your bathroom interior design.
- Pair retro items with modern items: This is a very clever trick, as you can also pair retro bathroom items with modern items to create a unique and eclectic look. Think 1970s toilet and new marble tops.
- Don't be afraid to experiment: There are no rules when it comes to using retro bathroom items in interior design projects. Experiment with different looks and see what you like best.
All well and good but how can we apply this in practice? Here are a few specific ideas for using retro bathroom items in your interior design project:
- Use a vintage mirror as a focal point in your bathroom.
- Add a retro shower curtain or bath mat for bursts of color and pattern.
- Display a collection of vintage soap bottles or apothecary jars on a glass shelf.
- Use a vintage towel rack to hang your towels.
- Add a retro toilet paper holder or toothbrush holder.
- Place a vintage plant stand in your bathroom and add a dried flower arrangement.
Dried flowers are a great way to add a touch of nature to your retro bathroom interior. They are also a low-maintenance option, as they do not need to be watered - but you know this if you've followed us for a while!
When using dried flowers in your bathroom, be sure not to place them in a vase or container that is filled with water - they really don't need it.
We love dried flowers here at Appreciation Project so think about a few specific ideas for using them in your bathroom, retro or otherwise:
- Place a vase of dried flowers on your vanity or toilet tank.
- Hang a dried flower wreath on the door to your bathroom.
- Add a dried flower arrangement to a shelf or windowsill.
- Use dried flowers to create a centerpiece for your bathroom table.
- Place a dried flower bouquet in a glass jar and use it as a toothbrush holder.
Retro bathrooms are making a huge comeback and with the vivid colours and intricate designs, these pieces can add a huge impact to your bathroom space - so go have fun and find yourself a bargain!