Maximalist Interiors: Embracing Vibrant British-Made Homewares and Dried Flowers
“Rawness and refinement are not opposite ends of a luxurious spectrum. They are two complementary features with which to populate a luxe environment.” - Kerry Wearstler
Maximalist interior design is all about embracing bold colors, patterns, and textures to create a space that is both stylish and inviting. It's a great way to express your personal style and make your home feel truly unique.
However, maximalist design can also be challenging, especially if you're trying to create a space that is also practical and functional. Here are a few tips for creating a maximalist interior design that is both stylish and practical:
1. Try and start with a neutral base. When you're potentially working with a lot of different colors and patterns, it's important to have a neutral base to ground the space. This could be a neutral wall color, flooring, or furniture.
2. Use scale to your advantage. One of the best ways to create a practical maximalist space is to use size and scale to your advantage! For example, you could pair a large, statement piece of furniture with smaller, more delicate cushions or side trinkets. This will help to create a sense of balance and harmony in the space.
3. Don't be afraid to mix and match. One of the things that makes maximalist design so fun is that there are no rules. Feel free to mix and match different colors, patterns, homewares and textures. Just be sure to choose pieces that complement each other and create a cohesive overall look.
4. Use storage wisely. When you have a lot of different objects and accessories, it's important to use storage wisely. This will help to keep your space from looking cluttered and overwhelming. Consider using baskets, bins, and shelves to store your belongings.
5. Add a touch of nature. Adding a touch of nature to your maximalist space can help to create a sense of calm and balance. This could be a plant, dried flowers, or even just a natural wood element.
Depending on where in your home you are looking to apply your interior design skills, here are a few specific tips for creating a practical maximalist room:
- In the living room: Consider using a large, colorful rug to anchor the space. Add a mix of different seating options, such as a sofa, chairs, and ottomans. Don't be afraid to mix and match different colors and patterns. Add personal touches with your favorite books, magazines, and artwork.
- In the dining room: Choose a statement-making chandelier or pendant light for your dining room. Add a mix of different chairs around your dining table. Use colorful tablecloths and napkins to add a touch of personality.
- In the bedroom: Start with a neutral base, such as white walls and bedding. Add pops of color and pattern with throw pillows, blankets, and artwork. Choose a comfortable bed and nightstand. Add a dresser or armoire for storage.
- In the kitchen: Choose colorful cabinets and countertops. Add a mix of different appliances and gadgets. Don't forget to add personal touches, such as your favorite cookbooks and kitchenware.
Maximalist interior design can be a fabulous way to create a space that is both stylish and practical. By following some of these tips and approaches, you can create a maximalist room that you'll absolutely love spending time in!